Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

How Temperature Can Affect Your Things at Home


Here's a question we received recently regarding busted shoes and a basketball player:
I have been busy with a project for the past few months that I never really had the time for exercise. So last week, I went to a local gym for a much needed exercise. I did a few minutes of cardio to warm up then proceeded to do some suicides to work on my legs and gluteus. However, just two rounds into my suicides, my right foot busted out of the side of the sole of my shoe. Needless to say, I had to cancel my gym day. I thought it was weird considering that the shoe was only 1 month old and was never worn. It was brand new.

I thought about going back to the store where I bought the pair to ask for a replacement. Before I did, I went to search online to find out what could possibly cause this problem. Then, I came to find a recent article about NBA player Manu Ginobili's foot also busting out of his shoe in one of the games. It was funny because the way he destroyed his shoe was similar to mine. He was also trying to make a sudden stop from a running motion, which is pretty similar to a suicide routine.

In the same article, Ginobili defended the shoe company by saying that it was his fault because he stored his shoes in his garage and the high temperature inside probably caused the weakening of the bonding agent for the sole and the top of the shoe. I thought what he said was just something to defend the company. After all, why would a shoe company use an adhesive that is sensitive to temperature? And was the temperature really that high to be able to damage the shoe?

To answer the question, lots of things inside your home can be damaged by high temperature. It doesn't even have to be drastically hot. Also, it is not really the heat that can cause the damage. Most of the time, it is due to the high humidity that is caused by hot air. The hotter the air, the more moisture it is able to hold. Regarding your shoes, the adhesive probably got weakened by the moisture in the air.

This is the reason why you'll always find instructions on products to store them in cool places. If you are planning to store some things, you need to make sure that the temperature in your storage area is at the ideal levels. You can do this by simply installing a temperature instrument inside your storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment